Just a little fun from our staff...
On 1st may 2011 Hitler discovered Revel Breezer, but someone didn't think that a sample library manager for audio professionals even exists on Windows.
Within hours we will release to the public the first beta of Revel BringBack, the start menu for Windows 8.
Freely downloadable by anyone it is intended to be an early preview and a way for you to test our work.
Obviously this is for us a very important milestone. We have some issues to deal with like some problems with mouse right-click, the configuration UI which is not polished and more... but we decide to go as we already use it on our workstations.
What is BringBack
Revel BringBack is not a copy of the good old start menu. We kept the philosopy of the Windows 7 menu, but we've improved in many ways. For example:
- True, modern and clear metro-inspired UI
- Zero-hack approach, which means that we cooperate with windows rather than hijacking the system.
- Resuse of existing Windows features, like Windows search, the application and document usage statistics and more.
- Integration with the task bar with clear, supported, Microsoft API (read deskband interfaces which were around since Windows 2000 era).
- Recent document grouping (by type, like pictures, applications, documents, source code files etc) and real time search whithin them, just click inside the menu and start typing to see it in action.
- Full drag'n'drop support to/from the start menu. As an example you could drag any item out of the start menu to the desktop. You could also reorder items with friendly and intuitive drag'n'drop gestures.
- Gpu accelerated rendering.
What we expect
As usual, we expect a great amount of feedback from the community about errors, glitches, UI inconsistencies and feature requests. So don't be afraid to share your thoughts with us via email or via our contact form. Your contribute will help us to deliver a better and useful start menu!
Please remember that this is beta software, an unfinished product, not refined so expect some bugs or inconsistencies. We've integrated an automatic error reporting system, so please when requested send us the error report. This will help us to better track down the bug and solve it.
Also you could help us by sharing on forums, facebook, voice or by any other means Revel BringBack.
Important: integrate BringBack with Windows taskbar
On some systems Windows will incorrectly resizes BringBack start button (only the first time you show it). To help you we've prepared a short video which will explain how to show and hide the start button, as well as how to resize it.
In the next two months we will work to resolve all the know problems and we will improve the application following user's feedback.
Last part of the work will be an heavy optimization targeted on speed and memory comsumption. We hope to deliver the final product by the end of october.
Lastly thank you in advance for your support and interest in Revel BringBack.
Go to: Revel BringBack Download page
The BringBack team